Serving Glastonbury Since 1957

Billing Questions

I pay taxes, why do I have a bill?

Unlike the Police and Fire departments, Glastonbury EMS is not a town agency. It is a 501(c) non profit agency.

The town of Glastonbury graciously allows us use of a town building to house our operations, however all other costs related to the services are covered entirely by billing for service and donations.

Our billing not only keeps day to day operations going, but allows us to invest in equipment such as new ambulances, cardiac monitors, new stretchers, and allows us to plan for the future to continue providing the best service to the town.

Why did I receive 2 bills?

Glastonbury EMS participates in revenue recapture (billing for service) in order to invest in equipment and personel. We are currently Licensed by the state to provide ambulance transport services.

There are emergencies that are so severe they require a paramedic to stablize and transport. Currently the Ambulance Service of Manchester (ASM) owns the rights to providing paramedic services.

If you have received two bills one is from Glastonbury EMS for response and transport to the hospital and the second is from ASM for paramedic services.

We are working on upgrading to the paramedic level, this will streamline billing and provide greater services and faster response times to the citizens of the town. To learn about our paramedic upgrade click here.

Who do I contact with billing questions?

Glastonbury EMS uses Holdsworth Group for billing services.

Phone: 800-437-8347

Address: 269 Main Street Cromwell, CT 06416

Pay your bill online here